- Councillor Costante Info
- Councillor Costante coverage on Rose City Politics
- 2022 Windsor Election Rose City Politics Candidate Questionnaire answers:
Councillor Costante Info
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 530
Biography & News: Councillor Costante News and Biography
Councillor Costante coverage on Rose City Politics
2022 Windsor Election Rose City Politics Candidate Questionnaire answers:
1. What is your prior political experience?
First elected in 2014 as a Catholic School Board Trustee and later elected in 2018 as a City Councillor in Ward 2. Prior to that I was a community organizer in the west-end and founded “Our West End” — a grassroots neighourhood renewal program focused on resident engagement and empowerment.
2. Why are you running?
We need to continue the good work we have started these past four years. Ward 2 has received unprecedented investments and there have been many achievements that need to continue. It is vitally important that we have a strong, consistent and steady voice for the Ward moving forward.
3. What do you do currently for a living?
I am a lawyer (costantelaw.ca) and City Councillor
4. What is the biggest issue affecting the ward you are running for?
The boarded-up homes in Sandwich, followed by negligent property owners not taking care of their properties. There are several other issues but those two are the biggest.
5. What is the biggest issue affecting the city of Windsor?
Affordable and accessible housing is the biggest in my view. We can point to many challenges but this one is the biggest.
6. Are you seeking any endorsements?
I have sought an endorsement from the Windsor & District Labour Council and received the same.
7. Have you received any endorsements?
8. Will you continue the “hold the line on taxes” policy?
My track record is clear in this regard. It starts with a vision for a City and then we determine what to prioritize and how the investments impact, if at all, the tax levy. I don’t start from a place of “holding the line” because we have seen over and over again how being penny wise is often pound foolish.
9. Do you support the mega-hospital location?
I voted against the location when this was debated at Council, not because I am against a new hospital. I am absolutely in favour of a new hospital; however, as a City Councillor, I have a duty to make decisions in the best interest of the City and within the jurisdiction of my office. When we take into account our infrastructure deficit, urban planning principles, climate change, the lack of information regarding the cost of displacing hospitals in the core, and much more, I couldn’t in good conscience support the relocation.
10. Do you support strong mayor legislation?
As it is framed currently, no. I think our system works well actually and the idea that this is about housing is a guise. I can’t speak for other municipalities but if there are issues experienced in Toronto, for example, and this legislation addresses those issues, that doesn’t mean that it should be applied everywhere. What problem are we trying to solve in Windsor with this legislation?
11. Should the city use taxpayers dollars to bring jobs to the area?
Strategically, yes. I think the City has a responsibility to play a meaningful role in economic development. In addition to direct investments, the City should also play a role in creating an environment for businesses to want to invest and for people to want to work and live. It is all interconnected and it should be based on a strategic plan (i.e Windsor Works) along with responsible urban planning principles and design.
12. If you are running in a ward with an incumbent who is also running, why is change necessary, and why are you the person to deliver it?
N/A — I am the incumbent!
13. How many hours per week do you plan to allocate towards council business if elected?
This is a 24/7 job. Not to say I literally work 24/7, but you have to be flexible and open to working all the time to serve your constituents and the City at large.
14. Do you live in the ward you are running for?
Yes, I live at 175 McEwan
15. What agencies, boards, or committees do/have you served on, and in what capacity?
In the last 4 years alone I sat on WECHU, CHC, EWSWA, Town & Gown, ETPS Standing Committee, International Relations Committee, Windsor Community Benefits Committee, Sandwich BIA and Windsor Licensing Committee.
16. What person, animal or fictional character should be Windsor’s unofficial mascot?
Bomber! (Windsor Spitfires Mascot)