- Councillor Mark McKenzie Info
- Councillor Mark McKenzie coverage on Rose City Politics
- 2022 Windsor Election Rose City Politics Candidate Questionnaire answers
Councillor Mark McKenzie Info
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 530
Councillor McKenzie News and Biography
Councillor Mark McKenzie coverage on Rose City Politics
2022 Windsor Election Rose City Politics Candidate Questionnaire answers
1. What is your prior political experience?
I have worked on numerous municipal election campaigns over the years, and have had an interest in politics and government since my father Jim McKenzie’s City Council run in 1991. I’ve worked closely with numerous charitable organizations and community groups, and sit on the Board of Directors of Easter Seals Windsor-Essex where I have also been an on-air host for their yearly telethon since 2016.
2. Why are you running?
To make people’s lives better. That should be the sole purpose for all elected officials.
3. What do you do currently for a living?
After spending 17 years as a radio personality (13 of those at 89X) I have been a licensed Realtor with Royal LePage Binder Real Estate since 2021. I’m also a devoted father and husband, and have assisted in raising millions of dollars for local charitable groups over the past 20 years.
4. What is the biggest issue affecting the ward you are running for?
Speeding on our residential streets, and the future use of the Met Campus site.
5. What is the biggest issue affecting the city of Windsor?
Unemployment. Windsor has the highest unemployment rate in the province, and it must be addressed. Unemployment leads to crime, homelessness, and malnutrition. We must diversify our economy, improve our transit to assist those individuals who rely on it for work and school, and make Windsor attractive to investors.
6. Are you seeking any endorsements?
Only the residents of Ward 4. While I do believe in working closely with unions and was a long time union member and/or shop steward with a variety of unions (Local 444, SAG-AFTRA, UFCW, CEP) am not seeking any endorsements from unions or special interest groups as I believe it can cause a conflict of interest once elected.
7. Have you received any endorsements?
8. Will you continue the “hold the line on taxes” policy?
With inflation at it’s highest level since the early 1980’s, now is not the time to be raising taxes. I’ve spoken to thousands of residents in the past few months, and many are just hanging on by a thread. We must to whatever we can as a city to make life more affordable for residents. Lets make better use of our tax dollars, and find new ways to fund projects such as Bright Lights with corporate sponsorship dollars.
9. Do you support the mega-hospital location?
I don’t love the location, however I do believe that Windsor needs a new hospital. I will continue to fight for accessible health care in the city core and for 24 hour urgent care in multiple neighbourhoods. Windsor has gone from 4 hospitals with ER’s, down to 2, and soon to be 1. We deserve better, and I will continue to be an advocate for more health care options in the city.
10. Do you support strong mayor legislation?
11. Should the city use taxpayers dollars to bring jobs to the area?
I believe that we should be getting a proper return on our investment. I have no issue using tax dollars to spur investment and jobs to our city, as long as we get a proper return.
12. If you are running in a ward with an incumbent who is also running, why is change necessary, and why are you the person to deliver it?
No incumbent, but I will work with whichever Mayor and council is elected to get things done for my ward. We need to end the divide on city council, and work together for the greater good of this city.
13. How many hours per week do you plan to allocate towards council business if elected?
When elected, I will be a full-time city councillor.
14. Do you live in the ward you are running for?
Yes, born raised and still reside in Ward 4.
15. What agencies, boards, or committees do/have you served on, and in what capacity?
Easter Seals Windsor-Essex, Fantastic Fathers, Member – WECAR, OREA & CREA, Volunteer – Habitat For Humanity, Volunteer – March of Dimes, Volunteer – Jeff Burrow’s 24 Hour Drum Marathon, MC – Relay For Life, MC – Rock on the River Charity Walk, etc.
16. What person, animal or fictional character should be Windsor’s unofficial mascot?